Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Be Vs. Do

I 'worked' today.

I helped the kids with an Art project. I learned something. These kids.... They get it. They totally get it. Well, the younger they are, the more they get it. Kids are True 'Beings' They only know how to BE, they don't have any concept yet of DOing. The older they get, the more they forget to be and start to do. 

I've been stuck on this Being VS. Doing trip for a while now. 

Let me break this down for you.... As far as I've broken it down for myself. 
(theres a whole lot of doing involved in this!)

NOW, This is important, pay attention.


Be: To occupy Space

Occupy: To fill up.

Space: the unlimited or incalculably great three-dimensional realmor expanse in which all material objects are located and all events occur.


Do: To perform

Perform: To carry out, complete, execute, render or act.

Per: By means of

Form: The shape of a thing or person.


When a child is born, they don't know how to DO anything. They don't perform anything. They don't label. Things don't need to be understood. They are true BEings. 

Look...It's so obvious. Listen to me. 

They call us human BEINGS for a reason. Because thats what we are. We are born BE-ing. 

These kids I did the art project with. They only knew how to be. 

We mixed shaving cream and glue together to form a paste. Then they were supposed to make "Snow Pictures". Whats a snow picture, you ask? 


I dont know. Its not important, really.

So I tell them we are making Snow Pictures. They can form  any-THING they want with this "snow".

Right?



Ya know what these kids do?

They just stick their hands in it and they smear it all over the paper.

What are they making?

I try to direct them... I begin pitching out ideas "You can make a snowman! Or a snowflake! Or a house with snow on it".

They didn't care. Not a single kid cared about these "things" they could make. 

What were they DO-ing?!!!

No-thing. They were BE-ing.

And it so rocked.





3 comments:

The Music.
The Moment.
You Own it.
Dont Ever Let it Go.